We just got back from a week long trip to Mexico! It was so amazing in many ways and of course we ate some awesome food too. But when we got home I had to get myself into the swing of making my own food again because I REALLY got used to someone making everything for me! LoL That’s the beauty of all inclusive.
Anywaaay, This recipe was made from having to quickly use up a butternut squash that would otherwise have bit the dust. My dad gave it to me from his garden so I really had to find use of it!
Onion & Garlic Jam basted Roast Butternut Squash w/ Couscous, Bacon, + Brussels Sprouts Stuffing
Roasted, Onion & Garlic Butternut Squash
1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
1/2 c water
4 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp Onion & Garlic Jam
2 tbsp maple syrup
Sea salt + pepper, freshly grated, to taste
Couscous, Bacon, + Brussels Sprouts Stuffing
1 cup Couscous, cooked
2 cups Brussels Sprouts, halved
6 slices Bacon, cooked + crumbled into large chunks
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, roasted
1/2 cup pomegranate arils
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 1/2 tbsp thyme
Sea Salt + Pepper, freshly grated, to taste
1. Start by preheating the oven to 350F. Put halved butternut squash in a microwave safe bowl with water and cover on high for 10’mins.
2. Mix together rest of ingredients for the squash. Put the softened squash skin side down on a sheet pan and then baste half mixture over the squash. Put in oven for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile start cooking the bacon oven med heat just until crisp. Remove bacon and add Brussels Sprouts, shallots, and garlic. Let sauté for a few minutes over med high heat. After a couple mins add the rest of the ingredients except pomegranate and half the parsley. Sauté for 1 more minute and then remove from heat.
4. Remove squash from oven and scoop out a little bit of the flesh from each piece to make room for the stuffing. Save the extra squash you removed for a different dish. Add the stuffing to the squash boats and pop them back in the oven for about 5 mins.
5. After the squash comes back out of the oven add the pomegranate arils and the rest of the parsley.